Cedar Park shuts out Georgetown for first playoff win since 2013


For the first time since 2013, the Cedar Park boys' soccer team is moving on in the postseason.

The Timberwolves scored an early goal and held on the rest of the way Thursday night at Birkelbach Field in the bi-district round, beating Georgetown 1-0 to advance to the area round.

"We're a pretty defensive-minded group and we're trying to win possession in the midfield," Cedar Park head coach Brian Pollard said. "I thought our center midfield was great tonight and the back line was solid eliminating the chances that (Georgetown) had."

The Timberwolves will face either A&M Consolidated or Willis - which meet up on Friday night - in the second round next Tuesday. The Area Round game will be at a neutral site if Willis wins and the schools will flip and play at one of the home fields if A&M Consolidated wins.

Junior attacker Jacob Pell poked in a rebound after a Cedar Park free kick just seven minutes in to give theTimberwolves an early lead. Georgetown's first shot on goal didn't come until nearly half an hour was gone.

"We try to score in the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes of each half," Pollard said. "We push for that and send the message early that we're here to compete and we're going to attack. Then settle in, let the game come to use and dictate how we're going to do it."

The Eagles sent a free kick from just outside the penalty area just over the net at the end of the first half.

Cedar Park picked up three cards in the second half. That, coupled with a few injuries that forced substitutions, Pollard said he was forced to have guys play in positions they never had before.

Senior Jack Dooher came close to doubling the Timberwolves' lead early in the second half, but his shot sailed inches over the top corner.

Georgetown really ramped up the pressure and Cedar Park didn't get too many more chances in the attacking therefor the rest of the game. The Eagles had a few corners that were mostly cleared, and sophomore goalkeeper Kameryn Roehrig and the back line earned the shutout.

"We knew when they got down, they were going to go to three up top," Pollard said. "So we changed our system and went to a four back. We did a great job of stepping into passing lanes and shooting lanes and not really giving anything on frame."

Follow @ByZachSmith and @HCNSports on Twitter and Instagram for the latest news on all local and regional sports. 

Email: sports@hillcountrynews.com