Pedernales Electric Cooperative will offer 10 local high school students the opportunity to visit the nation’s capital next summer as part of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association’s 2019 Youth Tour program.
Each summer for the past 60 years, PEC’s high school delegates join more than 1,500 other students from electric cooperatives across the country on an all-expenses-paid, week-long trip to Washington, D.C.
“Being able to provide this once-in-a-lifetime experience to youth in our service territory demonstrates PEC’s commitment to members of all ages,” said PEC Youth Engagement Representative Celeste Mikeska. “We encourage every eligible high school member to apply for this great opportunity.”
The PEC delegates will:
• Tour historical sites, including Arlington National Cemetery, Capitol Hill, the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Vernon, the Smithsonian Institution, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Washington National Cathedral, and more.
• Meet local political representatives and learn more about our local and national government.
• Create lifelong friendships with students from all around the country.
To become a PEC delegate, students must:
• Be classified as a high school sophomore, junior or senior by June 2019.
• Have a parent or legal guardian who is a PEC member in good standing.
• Submit an application and two referral letters online by Monday, Dec. 17, at 11:59 p.m.
Applications open Nov. 19. Students are invited to learn more and apply by visiting pec.coop/youth-tour.